Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Memories of Excommunication


I came across the above letter of excommunication from a church in Carbondale, Illinois to one of its members. It first reminded me of when my husband and I were excommunicated from our church in Urbana, Illinois four years ago.

However, as I read through the letter, it reminded me less and less of the corporate process we went through with our church and more and more of the interpersonal process we went through with my brother, T. These lines specifically brought T to mind:
In obedience to his command, we are handing you over to Satan and his kingdom of darkness, in hopes that you will come to your senses, repent, and return. By this excommunication, we are declaring that you are no longer a Christian, and that you are no longer part of the company of the saved.
I remember T saying the words "handing you over to Satan" when he described his decision to never speak to me or be in the same room as me as long as I was a gay Christian.

Painful memories.

1 comment:

D.J. Free! said...

Sorry, friend, for those painful memories. I remember those days, and it's unpleasant even for me to recollect them. Reading this must have been particularly poignant for you...