Monday, January 18, 2010

Comment Changes

This blog has been hit with spam comments recently, so I have decided to make some changes. Ironic as it may sound, Joe Moderate doesn't really want to moderate comments, so I'm taking the intermediate step of requiring word verification on comment entry. Hopefully this will stop the majority of spammers. If not, I'll finally have to live up to my last name and Moderate comments.

On a related note, in the sea of comments (221 and counting) on my unexpectedly most popular post have been numerous calls for commentators to identify themselves by a moniker other than Anonymous. Several people have been holding comment arguments under "Anonymous" and it has become confusing for people to know who they are speaking to. So I've decided to require some form of identification for posts. It doesn't have to be a google account, it can just be an "open ID".

2 comments:

D.J. Free! said...

O-M-G. are you serious?? how the HELL did you attract these people to your blog???

Joe Moderate said...

I know! I, too, am amazed. I have learned that my blog entry about Harold Camping's May 21, 2011 end of time prediction is one of the top hits on Google.

I just tried googling "May 21, 2011". My blog entry is the 7th hit. Go ahead; try it!