Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Three Reviews

During a recent week of vacation, my husband and I read one book and viewed two DVDs that all address the same issue: the interaction between evangelical Christianity and the LGBT community. Each of these media come from sources we esteem.
  1. The book Love Is an Orientation: Elevating the Conversation with the Gay Community was written by Andrew Marin, a (straight) conservative evangelical who has made his home in a gay neighborhood in Chicago and has invested several years in relationships in that community.

  2. The DVD Through My Eyes: An Eye-Opening Experience was produced by the Gay Christian Network, an online community of self-identified gay Christians who hold a range of beliefs on whether God blesses or opposes gay relationships.

  3. The DVD Bridging the Gap: Conversations on Befriending our Gay Neighbours (that's right, neighbours; it was produced in Canada, so they can write stuff like that) was produced by New Directions, an evangelical ministry based in Toronto that reaches out both to the gay community and to churches and Christians.
Although I was initially excited about all of these materials, I was not uniformly pleased with them. In fact, I found one of them so disappointing that I fear it may actually further the misinformation that divides evangelical Christians and LGBT folks.

Spoiler alert: I want to get the negative stuff over first, so I'm going to begin with the one I found disappointing and work up to the one I recommend the highest.

1 comment:

Pomoprophet said...

Interesting... I look forward to hearing your critiques. Oh and Happy Birthday!!