Monday, March 16, 2009

Casting out the Demon of Homosexuality in the Name of Jesus

I was disturbed when I came across these videos yesterday. Reminds me of when I underwent two exorcisms to rid me of the "demon of homosexuality." I wish I could say that this stuff is exaggerated... but my experience was similarly out of control. Lots of pastors screaming, praying, singing, feverishly shouting "in the name of Jesus". It was utter chaos. I went into a panic attack.





Geez. This really takes me back. It's so sad that people are so afraid of being gay that they are willing to submit themselves to abuse like this. It's so sad that others are so afraid of gay people that they are willing to perpetrate this insanity on others. I wish I could transport back ten years and tell myself about the wonderful, fulfilling, heartwarming relationship I have now with my husband.

Makes me think about the poor young man at the center of these videos. I wonder how he's doing now. I hope he's okay.

Hat tip: joe.my.god.

5 comments:

wendy said...

I am deeply saddened with you.
"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

Newscrazy said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, buddy. I'm so glad that things are better now! Whenever I encounter the homophobia that stems from fear and ignorance it really is very sad. God is love, and we ought to love one another for who we are, because God loves us for who we are. God does not exist in fear and anger and self-hatred. Those states are devoid of God's presence. So scenes such as these are not of God, but of emptiness, and they breed only more emptiness. If you truly love someone, you don't inflict torture and pain upon them for any reason--to help them or not. If you truly love someone you seek to lift them up and support them. Pray about it--do you really think that this ugly scene is God's will? God doesn't want this.

Pomoprophet said...

I cringe thinking of you going through that.

But it is not the casting out of a demon of homosexuality that bothers me so much as their entire faith structure. It is an emotion driven faith based on what God can do for them. It is shallow and dangerous. I believe the people who start ministries like that dupe the followers, often times from poor, uneducated areas.

RikFleming said...

Pentecostal circles tend to have a low view of the affects of the fall due to their arminianism and hyperspirituality and consequently attribute more to "the devil made me do it" (Flip Wilson theology) than their own sinful depravity.

I once heard a fat woman say, "I have the demon of chocolate cake."

I then informed her, "Those only come out with prayer and fasting."

She didn't get the joke.

Rik

Brandon said...

Sick.

I'm sorry you ever had to go through something like this.