Saturday, February 21, 2009

Getting Married in Iowa

At 4:30 this afternoon, an Iowa District 6 judge directed me and my husband to sign our names on an Iowa marriage certificate.

As witnesses.

C's sister married her new husband this afternoon in a simple, beautiful ceremony held in their home. District 6 Associate Judge Steve C. Gerard officiated the brief ceremony. Afterwards, the judge took the newlyweds, C, and myself aside to complete the legal paperwork.

For a moment, I just stared at the document in front of me. It was strange. I recalled in December watching the Iowa Supreme Court hear two attorneys argue why gay couples like us should or shouldn't be allowed to marry in that state. I reflected that so many people have struggled and labored and fought so that couples like C and I should or should not have the chance to sign an Iowa marriage certificate--not as witnesses, but as legally married spouses. The Iowa Supreme Court could rule on marriage any day now. I was struck that--if the Court rules for marriage equality--C and I might find ourselves completing an Iowa marriage license of our own some day soon.

C's sister signed her name; her new husband signed his next to hers. I signed my name; C signed his name next to mine. The judge advised the newlyweds that it would take the county government about 7 days to process the paperwork to recognize them as a legally married couple. I wonder how long C and I will have to wait for similar recognition.

The photo above left is of Sean Fritz and Tim McQuillan who, on Friday, August 31, 2007, became the only legally married gay couple in Iowa. The fate of their marriage hangs on the Court's pending decision.

2 comments:

Pomoprophet said...

geesh! You about gave your old friend a heart attack! I thought the court ruled and I missed it and YOU were getting married!

Bad Joe Moderate!

Sigh. Someday it will come true for you and C and for the rest of us.

Selly said...

Ditto Pomo.