Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Why Hillary won WV by a landslide

I've been wanting to post this video for a week, but it only appeared on the Daily Show website today. The striking thing about this segment is the interviews with WV voters on why they voted for Hillary... or, rather, why they voted against Obama.



I was stunned when I saw the interviews that appear between 1:50 and 2:30 in the video, but I figured John Stewart was just showing the most outrageous clips (as per usual). However, NPR carried some disturbingly similar interviews with West Virgina voters in its coverage of race issues in the West Virginia primary and throughout the Democratic primary season
"Mr. Obama doesn't have much of a chance here, because they will not vote for a black man in West Virginia. They can't stand the thought of a black man telling a white man what to do." Jo-etta Coon

"Whether he is a Muslim or I'll guess he's not, I guess it's just everything that's going on in the Middle East. It's a little scary being an unknown." Thomas Caldwell

"You know I didn't vote for no colored. [laughing]" Morris King
NPR added that these three West Virginia voters were not asked specifically about race. About 20% of West Virginia voters in the Democratic primary cited race as a factor in their decision.

What's up with West Virigina? Is it just abnormally fearful of black people? Is it abnormally misinformed about Obama's faith? Is it abnormally afraid of Muslims?

So weird.

1 comment:

Pomoprophet said...

Some people sure are ignorant. Its like that post of yours awhile go from the pastor who put that marquee comparing Obama to Osama.

I'm not a fan of Obama at all but I want him to lose because his ideas are horrible! Not because of bias' and ignorance.

However, the coin has two sides. I remember one of the southern states that Obama won and the radio was talking about how something like 95% of black people voted for Obama. I'd say thats just as much racism as the other way around...