Thursday, May 15, 2008

Elated

Guys, the hair is standing up on the back of my neck. My heart is racing. I've been paging through the lengthy 172-page opinion published online by the Supreme Court of California this morning. There, at the top of page 12 were the stunning words I never expected to read:
Under these circumstances, we cannot find that retention of the traditional definition of marriage constitutes a compelling state interest. Accordingly, we conclude that to the extent the current California statutory provisions limit marriage to opposite-sex couples, these statutes are unconstitutional.
Oh happy day! Congratulations are in order for the people of California! I am so happy for them... and for what this court decision indicates for the rest of us--the gradual changing of the hearts and minds in the United States.

I'm so happy I can't sit still. I just called my fiance and my buddy Pomoprophet in California. I feel like celebrating!

May happy days like this come soon for those of us in other states. Indeed, may such happy days come for people around the world :-)

3 comments:

seithman said...

This is fantastic news indeed!

D.J. Free! said...

tears come to my eyes . . .

Pomoprophet said...

I couldnt contain the smile on my face in class this morning when I found out! Nov will be another big test if this anti-gay marriage amendment gets on the ballot. But this is a giant step forward!!!

Lots of love for all!