Monday, January 14, 2008

Merry Christmas to You Too, Paul Cameron

You may have heard of "The Family Research Institute" (FRI), the organization consisting of Paul Cameron and his son, Kirk Cameron. These two men are infamous for turning out some very dubious "statistics" about gay people--so dubious, in fact, that even Exodus finally removed Cameron statistics last year.

So I happen to be on the mailing list of FRI, and I periodically receive newsletters from the organization that parade the Camerons' scary numbers and then ask for donations. Today I apparently received their Christmas/New Year's newsletter. It was nuts as always, but I gotta just give you a taste for how crazy it sounds. The paragraph I've reproduced below is the last in the letter. It follows a crazy story about a little boy who was apparently outrageously abused by a lesbian couple (and yes, the Camerons did generalize the couple's abusive behavior to be characteristic of most gays.)

At any rate, without further ado, the end of the FRI newsletter:
If you will donate at least $25 (and more we hope), we'll send you our latest publication: 'Do Those Who Engage In Homosexual Sex More Frequently Rape and Murder the Underage?' You'll see that what the lesbian pair did in Florida is not all that out of character.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

Dr. Paul Cameron
FRI Chairman
What just happened? I hadn't even finished throwing up from reading the title of Cameron's latest publication when he cheerfully says "Merry Christmas" and is finished!

And what a ridiculous title. You know immediately the conclusion that Cameron will draw. Reminds me of a funny trend in TV news captions that Jon Stewart noticed...



:-)

5 comments:

seithman said...

I'm curious. Why are you subscribed to their newsletter? Was it a mistake? Or is this one of those "keep your enemies closer" sort of things? Or is it morbid curiosity? (To tell you the truth, I'm surprised I'm not a subscriber, given my tendency towards morbid curiosity.)

Well, we could always right our own book: "Will Paul Cameron Ever Make Another Assinine Claim?" Problem is, I think it'd be a rather short book.

-- Jarred.

Joe Moderate said...

Great question, Jarred.

So I once ordered the pamphlet "Medical Consequences of What Homosexuals Do" after reading Jim Burroway's exhaustive debunking of the document over at boxturtlebulletin.com. I was incredulous when I read what Jim said was in the document, so I thought I would get one for myself and see.

Don't worry! I only paid $0.50 for the pamphlet, I think. But it was apparently enough to get me on Paul Cameron's mailing list.

At this point, he's sent me so many newsletters, donation requests, and other mailings that I'm sure he's more than spent my $0.50 :-)

seithman said...

Ah, I can certainly understand that. And kudos to you for verifying it for yourself.

Sadly, I have no problem believing people would make such outrageous claims. Sadly, I've heard too many of them first hand. Never from Cameron, mind you. But since I've heard others say such outrageous things, I know it's all too possible.

-- Jarred.

BlackTsunami said...

shameless plug guy, but if you want an idea of the history of Cameron's lies and the groups that use them (and other lies about the lgbt community) - go here -http://antigayliesandliars.blogspot.com/

Joe Moderate said...

Hey BlackTsunami,

first of all, thanks for doing the amazing amount of research that went into your book! Second, I like your blog. Thanks for continually staying up on the anti-gay folks. I feel the work you are doing--along with that of the guys and girls over at Box Turtle Bulletin, Beyond Ex-Gay, and others--is making a significant impact in the "fact arsenals" that support the "culture war."

Here's hoping that this war of ludicrous misuse of science and religion ends soon.

BTW, my attention is on your state today; any predictions how the Republicans will vote today? I'm hoping they choose McCain and bury Huckabee...