Monday, January 21, 2008

McCain Wins S.C. Primary; Republican Frontrunner Unclear


This is old news by now, but I just wanted to say how happy I am that John McCain came out on top of the South Carolina Republican primary this past weekend.

Going into the weekend, I was very nervous that Mike Huckabee would ride a wave of evangelical support through to a victory in South Carolina. Those fears have not been realized, but Huckabee still had a very strong showing, finishing with only 3% less of the vote than McCain. Meanwhile, on the other side of the nation, Mitt Romney won the Nevada Republican caucuses by a landslide.

The Republican field still lacks a clear frontrunner, although at this point it does seem that the field has been narrowed down to three candidates: McCain, Romney, and Huckabee.

The Democratic primaries have also failed to produce a clear frontrunner, although the field seems to have been narrowed down to two candidates: Clinton and Obama.

This is shaping up to be quite an interesting campaign! And the days are flying by as we draw ever nearer to Super Tuesday (February 5th), when I finally get to vote (along with folks in about 24 states on the same day).

My personal choices? Here are Joe Moderate's not-so-official endorsements :-)
  • On the Republican side, I clearly favor McCain. Not only do I prefer McCain over Romney and Huckabee, but I also feel he is the most electable. I don't think Romney or Huckabee stand a chance in the general election.
  • On the Democratic side, I'm fine with either Clinton or Obama, although I think Obama is the more electable candidate.
An interesting match-up come November would be McCain vs. Obama. I'm not sure who I would vote for in that instance...

No comments: