Thursday, January 17, 2008

Huckabee on Young Americans' Views of Christianity and of the Religious Right

More from the interesting beliefnet.com interview with Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee.
Beliefnet: There’s a book you may have heard about called “Unchristian” which is basically saying that, among young people, the involvement of religious conservatives in politics has actually turned them off of Christianity. Do you think there’s anything to that?
Incidentally, the book beliefnet is referring to was produced by a Christian polling agency called the Barna Group. I wrote a blog entry about Barna's "Unchristian" report awhile back which cites some of the numbers that beliefnet is referring to. Among their statistics, Barna said the following:
Today, the most common perception is that present-day Christianity is "anti-homosexual." Overall, 91% of young non-Christians and 80% of young churchgoers say this phrase describes Christianity. As the research probed this perception, non-Christians and Christians explained that beyond their recognition that Christians oppose homosexuality, they believe that Christians show excessive contempt and unloving attitudes towards gays and lesbians.
Okay, so back to Huckabee's response to Beliefnet's question about the Barna report.
Beliefnet: There’s a book you may have heard about called “Unchristian” which is basically saying that, among young people, the involvement of religious conservatives in politics has actually turned them off of Christianity. Do you think there’s anything to that?

Huckabee: I would hope not. I think it would be very tragic. I would hope that if that’s the case that I’ve not contributed to it.
::shakes head:: What? Really, Huckabee? Your really feel that your polarizing statements equating homosexuality with drug abuse, pedophilia, and necrophilia haven't contributed to young people's negative views of Christians in politics? Wow.

Huckabee had more to say.
Huckabee: I would like to think quite the opposite, that I’ve made that people realize that Christians are real people and they have a real world view that’s defensible and intellectually sound, and that it impacts people’s lives in a positive way.
::more head shaking:: "Defensible"? "Intellectually sound"? "impacts people’s lives in a positive way"? Huckabee has no idea the profound negative impact his views and his policies have had on people like me and my friends.
Huckabee: I think it would be tragic if that were the case...
I agree. It is absolutely a tragedy that the name of Jesus Christ is associated with bigoted views and policies. I sincerely hope that Mike Huckabee one day comes to the realization of the true impact of his words.

May that day come soon.

hat tip: Beliefnet

2 comments:

TweetyJill said...

I hope that my words and actions in this world bring world peace and food for the world's hungry and the cure for all diseases and the end to global warming.

Last time I checked, this hasn't happened yet. But I really hope so.

Joe Moderate said...

tut tut, Tweety. Better get on that

;-)