Saturday, January 5, 2008

2008 Presidential Race

So we're in between the first-in-the-nation presidential caucuses (in Iowa) and the first-in-the-nation presidential primaries (in New Hampshire). So many folks jockeying to snag the nominations from their respective political parties. So many speeches, commercials, debates, and news articles. Yeesh.

My $0.02 on the Iowa results:
  • $0.01: I'm pleased with the Iowa Democrats' selection of Barack Obama as their top pick. I personally find the top three Democratic contenders (Obama, Hillary Clinton, and John Edwards) more or less indistinguishable when it comes to policies. But Obama seems infinitely more likeable than Hillary. And John Edwards has never really interested me.
  • $0.02: I couldn't be more frustrated with the Iowa Republicans' choice of Mike Huckabee. Really, Iowa? Huckabee? Gosh. I'll admit the guy comes off as likeable and he toes the socially conservative line... but when it comes to policies and substance, this guy is terrible! C'mon, folks: John McCain is the only sensible choice here! Grumble grumble. Fortunately, there's pretty much no chance in hell that New Hampshire Republicans will choose Huckabee--there's just not as strong a religious influence on voting there. I'm hoping for a McCain win there come January 8th.
So I guess I just revealed who I'd prefer to take the nominations for both parties. But what I haven't done is tell you who I intend to vote for come election day in November. Here it is folks, my big revelation for the New Year.

Joe Moderate officially endorses... Charles R. Doty for President of the United States!

No comments: