Have you ever visited the site conservapedia.com? It was created a few years ago as an online encyclopedia with a socially conservative slant--to "balance" wikipedia.org, the online encyclopedia which conservapedia's creators contend is liberally biased. Conservapedia's appeal to conservative Christians is immediately noticeable from the "Daily Bible Verse" displayed prominently on the site's front page.
Not long ago, blogger Andrew Sullivan noted the statistics for most frequently viewed pages on conservapedia. See if you can spot the trend below [the numbers in brackets corresponds to the number of times a particular conservapedia page has been viewed]
1. Main Page [1,897,952]
2. Homosexuality [1,496,027]
3. Homosexuality and Hepatitis [516,229]
4. Homosexuality and Promiscuity [417,064]
5. Homosexuality and Parasites [387,476]
6. Homosexuality and Domestic Violence [329,295]
7. Homosexuality and Gonorrhea [328,327]
8. Gay Bowel Syndrome [318,139]
9. Homosexuality and Syphilis [262,286]
10. Homosexuality and Mental Health [253,125]
Hmm. There seems to be a preoccupation with homosexuality.
Those were the top pages as of November 20th. I checked the statistics again today; the current stats are as follows.
1. Homosexuality [2,113,469]
2. Main Page [2,022,992]
3. Homosexuality and Anal Cancer [295,958]
4. Homosexual Agenda [274,972]
5. Arguments Against Homosexuality [253,143]
- Homosexuality and it's perceived nasties still dominate the top five. Moreover, the "homosexuality" entry has surpassed the main page as the most visited page on the site. This seems to imply that external websites are now linking directly to conservapedia's homosexuality page (bypassing the need for site visitors to go to the main page and enter the search term there).
- Note the order of magnitude difference in the number of hits received by the "homosexuality" entry and the main page with that of the next-most accessed pages. Nearly ten times as many people visit conservapedia's "homosexuality" entry as visit any other entry in the encyclopedia.
- Four of the pages that were top hits a month ago ("Homosexuality and Hepatitis"[516,229], "Homosexuality and Promiscuity" [417,064], "Homosexuality and Parasites" [387,476], "Homosexuality and Domestic Violence" [329,295], "Homosexuality and Gonorrhea" [328,327], "Gay Bowel Syndrome" [318,139]) no longer appear, despite the fact that they had higher visitation than the present 3rd and 4th most popular pages. It seems conservapedia has rearranged its gay pages, perhaps consolidating these lesser pages into it's now mammoth "homosexuality" entry.
- Also of interest is the fact that homosexuality no longer occupies all of the top ten slots on conservapedia. The remaining five of the top ten indicate somewhat diversified interests.
6. Examples of Bias in Wikipedia [242,191]
7. Wikipedia [232,082]
8. Adolf Hitler [225,767]
9. Theory of Evolution [224,777]
10. David Beckham [219,654]
What surprises me is the appearance of David Beckham among the top entries. What the crap? How'd he get on there? I never thought he was as interesting as "Homosexality and Parasites"... ;-)
Hat tips: The Daily Dish, Box Turtle Bulletin